Fort Sam Houston Primary Care Clinic

San Antonio, TX

Owner: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Architect: Heery International
$37 M

This project is part of the $2 billion U.S. Military Base Relocation and Closure program in San Antonio. The program is headed by the Joint Program Management Office, a tri-service team that oversees design and construction. The state-of-the-art clinic provides outpatient services in family medicine, adolescent medicine, behavioral health, occupational therapy and physical therapy, as well as offering laboratory, radiology and pharmacy services. The 124,000 SF clinic houses approximately 300 health care professionals and staff members.

One of the U.S. Army’s oldest active installations (opened in San Antonio in 1876), Fort Sam Houston’s 3,000 acres was transformed into a center of excellence for U.S. military medical training programs. The base houses some 27,000 military and civilian personnel. As part of this network of medical services, the Fort Sam Houston Primary Care Clinic was designed to relieve the considerable patient load from the base’s existing medical facilities. The clinic offers everything except surgical procedures.