Annunciation Greek Orthodox Cathedral
Architect: Phillip Johnson and Alan Ritchie Architects
The Expansion and Renovation of the Annunciation Greek Orthodox Cathedral (AGOC) is a testimony to the Cathedral’s respect for its history, respect for its 1950 edifice, and for its commitment to its longtime Montrose location. After consideration of a possible relocation, and of possibly demolishing the existing building completely, AGOC undertook a challenging project which maintained significant portions of their historic structure while accomplishing its goal of expanding and beautifying their facilities to serve them well for the second century of their religious existence.
Over the past several years, AGOC recognized that additional seating was critically needed to meet both its current and future needs. The expansion of the Cathedral increased the seating capacity from 350 to over 850. It also included expanding the nave, narthex, balcony, restrooms, bride’s room, vestry and acolyte areas, new and restored iconography and stained glass windows, all new mechanical, electrical, plumbing, lighting, audio/visual systems, a new organ, new pews, and updated site hardscape and landscaping.
One of the most impressive features and the focal point of the Annunciation Greek Orthodox Cathedral project is its massive new gold dome. The entire dome was prefabricated and assembled on the project site. The dome, over 44′ in diameter and over 23′ high, is clad in gold-finished, stainless steel metal roof panels. The dome is constructed with 32 trusses and two trailer truck loads of prefabricated curved members. The remarkable dome took six months of design and engineering, three months of shop fabrication, five weeks of field assembly, and a day of lift time.